By Aliyu Hamza Babakano | Scope News
Fire suspected to have been sparked off by electrical fault has gutted down one of the Female Hostels of the School of Nursing and Midwifery Yola at about 3am on Monday morning last week.
An eye witness Karen Kardili, one of the students who resides in the next room at wing C, Umar Jibrilla Hostel, told The Scope in an exclusive interview that the incident happened around 3am.
She added that they first sensed the smell of burning rubber and quickly woke up other colleagues whom they shared room but later noticed that the smoke was coming from outside so they then rushed out and discovered smoke who coming, from neighbours room who traveled for weekend”, she said.
She added that with the combined effort of male and female students they brought the situation under control.
Karen commended the effort of the students especially their neighbours and male students for their timely intervention.
She further said that the occupants lost virtually all their belongings including their cloths and books, and attributed the cause of the fire to electrical fault.
In an interview with The Scope the Hostel Manager of the School, Mr. Bulus Midala said, no loss of life or injuries but noting all properties within the hostel were burnt to ashes.
He appreciate the effort of the students for bringing the situation under control.